As well as making sure your computer’s operating system is fully patched or upgraded, you need to ensure all your software is up to date.
Popular software is constantly being improved – both to ensure the product appeals to new customers and also to patch any security holes found that may provide a cyber criminal with a vulnerability they are able to exploit.
Some of the most popular software today on millions of computers is designed to allow us to enjoy or benefit from the internet – think of your web browser or common helper programs such as Java, Adobe Reader and Flash.
The software that lets you explore websites, read documents, play games and watch video clips is so widely distributed that it’s a giant target for anyone looking to do harm.
- Check to see if your web browser is up to date
- Find out what version of Java you have installed and if it is up to date
- Make sure you have the latest free Adobe Reader to avoid malicious PDF files
- Update your Adobe Flash Player to the latest version
- Read NetSafe’s FAQ on keeping software up to date
- Watch our NetBasics animated episodes to learn how important updating is: