It’s estimated that more than $400m flows out of New Zealand every year due to an international network of scammers targeting innocent and quick to trust Kiwis.
If you’ve ever sold your car online, tried out online dating websites or thought about giving a donation to charity – for example in the wake of the Christchurch earthquake – there’s a good chance someone will have tried to part you from your hard earned cash.
- Learn how to identify internet scams with the Scam Machine website
- Report cybercrime to NetSafe’s Orb website
- Read how the cold calling technical support scam works
- Learn more about the various scam types targeting New Zealanders
- Get updates on Facebook from the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, DIA and NetSafe
- Follow the DIA Anti-Spam team on Twitter
- Watch NetSafe’s video on a common online car selling scam: